Prof. em. Dr. Otthein Herzog
|Tel:||–49 -421 218 64003|
|Fax:||–49 -421 218 64047|
1966-1967: General Studies at the Leibniz Kolleg, Universitaet Tuebingen
1967-1969: Studies of Electrical Engineering at the Universitaet Stuttgart
1969-1970: Studies of Informatics at the Universitaet Karlsruhe
1970-1972: Studies of Informatics and Mathematics at the Universitaet Bonn, Diploma (MSc) in Applied Mathematics and Informatics
1972-1977: Researcher at the Computer Science Department, Universitaet Dortmund
1976: Dr. rer. nat. from the Computer Science Department, Universitaet Dortmund
1977-1993: with IBM in several technical and managerial positions in international software product development and research. His projects included mainframe operating systems, quality assurance (DOS/VSE and Unix), communications software, full-text information retrieval systems (IBM SearchManager), CIM repository systems, and a system for environmental impact analysis for the EXPO 2000 at Hanover, Germany.
1985-1991: Head of the IBM Institute for Knowledge-based Systems in the Scientific Center of IBM Germany, numerous AI research projects, the most important one being LILOG - Natural Language Processing and Text Understanding.
2000-2002: CTO at Lenze AG, responsible for hardware and software development from gear boxes, electrical motors, electronic drives and servos to automation software.
1993-2009: Chaired Professor for Artificial Intelligence in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Universitaet Bremen heading the Artificial Intelligence Research Group. Founder and Director of the TZI - Center for Computing and Communication Technologies,with 160 full-time researchers in 2009.
since 1998: Affiliate professor at the George Mason University, Machine Learning and Inference Laboratory, formerly directed by the late Dr. Ryszard Michalski, and now by Dr. Janusz Wojtusiak.
since 2009: supervising PhD students, directing research projects, and acquiring new projects at Universitaet Bremen
since 2010: “Wisdom Professor of Visual Information Technologies” at Jacobs University Bremen, where he is also a founding member of the Research Center “VisComX - Visual Communication and Expertise”.
since 2015: Professor at the CIUC, Tongji University, Shanghai, PR China
His current research interests at TZI/Universitaet Bremen include:
- Multi-agent systems for modelling, simulating and optimizing autonomous processes and integration of heterogeneous data sources, e.g., for production and logistics networks,
- Data mining and knowledge discovery techniques with applications in, e.g., network security, and dynamic knowledge management in autonomous processes.
- Mobile, wearable and ubiquitous computing for AAL
- Automatic content analysis and annotation of still images, videos and sound for content-driven multimedia archiving, retrieval, and video abstracting.
Within the Universitaet Bremen, Dr. Herzog continues to contribute to the interdisciplinary activities of the
- LogDynamics - Bremen Research Cluster for Dynamics in Logistics,
- the Graduate School Advances in Digital Media,
- the International Graduate School for Dynamics in Logistics, and
- the International Max Planck Research School of Marine Microbiology.
His research interests at Jacobs University Bremen as a faculty member of the Diversity Focus, Dept. of Humanities and Social Sciences include:
- Automated semantic analysis of videos in cooperation with Prof. Peter Ludes, Mass Communications
- Informatics for the Humanities,
- Human-oriented Ambient Assisted Living.
His current research interests at the CIUC - Tongji University include:
- Big Data Analysis for Sustainable Urban Planning
- evidence-based Urban Planning
Since 2006, Dr. Herzog is elected Fellow of acatech – the German National Academy of Science and Engineering, where he was a member of the Executive Committee with the portfolio “International Relations” from 2011-2013. He was the Coordinator of the acatech Topical Network “Information and Communication Technology” from 2007 - 2011, and its Past Coordinator from 2011-2016. He chairs the acatech working group on Industry 4.0 together with Prof. Abramovici (Bochum) and is a member of the Big Data Working Group of Leopoldina and acatech.
Dr. Herzog is also a Fellow of the GI - Gesellschaft für Informatik, and member of the DAGM and the ACM.
He also serves as
- Member of the Governing Board of IKCEST - UNESCO International Knowledge Centre of Engineering Sciences and Technology, Beijing, China
- Trustee and chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT), Birlinghoven,
- member of the IFIP Board of the GI - Gesellschaft für Informatik.
- member of the Advisory Board of InES -Institute for Enterprise Systems, an interdisciplinary Research Institute for Enterprise Systems at the University of Mannheim,
- member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the BMBF Leading-edge Cluster ITS-OWL - “Intelligent Technical Systems Ostwestfalen-Lippe”
- Advisor of the Chinese-German Institute of Industrial Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology
Prof. Michael Beetz PhD
Head of Institute
Dr. habil. Hagen Langer
Prof. em. Dr. Otthein Herzog
Open Knowledge for